- Company Profile
- Executive Management
- Diversity and Culture
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Serving Communities
- Environmental Sustainability
- Social Media
UNION BANK CELEBRATES BLACK HISTORY MONTH WITH COMMEMORATIVE CD
For Immediate Release
the music of African Americans in gospel, jazz, opera and blues
LOS ANGELES, CA (February 13, 2012) – As part of its ongoing commitment to cultural diversity and responsible banking, and in celebration of Black History Month, Union Bank has launched a Facebook initiative sharing audio tracks from well known African American artists. Celebrate the Sounds of the Black Experience, an archive of seven audio compact discs that Union Bank produced from 2003-2009, is featured on the Spotlight section of the bank’s Facebook page. The compilation highlights the importance of history, education, music and the arts within the African American community. From gospel and jazz to opera and blues, it features the historical account of such musical greats as jazz artists Duke Ellington and Billie Holiday, opera singer Hope Foye and blues artist, actor and storyteller Art Evans.
The Celebrate the Sounds of the Black Experience seven-disc compilation features the following:
- (2003) Giving Voice to our Dream, highlighting African American film stars.
- (2004) A Journey in Black History, an educational piece about historical figures, such as Duke Ellington and C.C. Walker.
- (2005) Stories from Our Past, a collection of stories about California African American pioneers, such as Biddy Mason and Dr. Samuel Kountz.
- (2006) Rising Voices, the story of African American contributions to the world of music featuring young musicians.
- (2007) Scholarly Insights, highlighting African American contributions to higher education by presidents of California State Universities.
- (2008) Singing Her Song, featuring the music and story of classical arts opera singer Hope Foye.
- (2009) Storytellers: From a Whisper to a Shout, showcasing African American storytellers and honoring the vital role they play in history.
“Diversity is part of our Union Bank heritage, and we’re proud of our commitment to celebrate the historical contributions of the extraordinary African Americans celebrated in this commemorative CD set,” said Union Bank Senior Executive Vice President Pierre P. Habis, head of Community Banking. “We hope everyone is inspired to visit our Facebook page to listen, learn about and celebrate the amazing accomplishments within the African American community.”
Visit the Spotlight section of Union Bank’s Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/UnionBank?sk=app_123745341066347 throughout the month of February to enjoy select tracks from the special edition audio compact discs
About UnionBanCal Corporation & Union Bank, N.A.
Headquartered in San Francisco, UnionBanCal Corporation is a financial holding company with assets of $89.7 billion at December 31, 2011. Its primary subsidiary, Union Bank, N.A., is a full-service commercial bank providing an array of financial services to individuals, small businesses, middle-market companies, and major corporations. The bank operated 414 branches in California, Washington, Oregon, Texas and New York, as well as two international offices, on December 31, 2011. UnionBanCal Corporation is a wholly-owned subsidiary of The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ, Ltd., which is a subsidiary of Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group, Inc. Union Bank is a proud member of the Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group (MUFG, NYSE:MTU), one of the world’s largest financial organizations. Visit www.unionbank.com for more information.