Community HousingWorks Receives Union Bank Foundation Grant
The Union Bank Foundation recently announced grant funding for nearly 30 organizations providing counseling to new homeowners as well as technical assistance to small businesses throughout California and the Pacific Northwest. Among them was Community HousingWorks, a San Diego-based affordable housing developer and service provider. The $225,000 grant was announced at the opening of Kalos, an 83-unit affordable apartment community in North Park, San Diego that received financing from Union Bank.
Recognizing Our Partners
- Several CDF clients were recognized as Finalists in Affordable Housing Finance Magazine's Readers' Choice Awards, which recognizes the best affordable housing development projects around the nation: A Community of Friends and New Directions (New Directions Sepulveda I and II–Los Angeles, CA), Capitol Hill Housing (The Jefferson–Seattle, WA), Community HousingWorks (Poway Villas—Poway, CA), Jamboree Housing Corp. (The Studios at Hotel Berry–Sacramento, CA), Resources for Community Development (Clinton Commons–Oakland, CA), Satellite Affordable Housing Associates (Merritt Crossing–Oakland, CA) and The John Stewart Co., Devine & Gong, Inc., and Ridge Point Non-Profit Housing Corp. (Hunters View Phase I–San Francisco, CA). Winners will be announced in November.
- MidPen Housing's 636 El Camino, a 109-unit development in South San Francisco, has been recognized with the "Real Estate Deal of the Year" Award Affordable Residential/Outside San Francisco from the San Francisco Business Times as well as the "Green Building Award" from Sustainable San Mateo County.
- Community HousingWorks' Poway Villas was awarded the Affordable Housing Tax Credit Coalition (AHTCC) Charles L. Edson Tax Credit Excellence Award (HUD Property Preservation category). The project also won two Ruby Awards (Housing Project of the Year–Rehabilitation and SDG&E Energy Efficiency & Sustainability Award – Retrofit) from the San Diego Housing Federation.
- Earlier this year, AMCAL Multi-Housing and A Community of Friends won the Project of the Year Award: Special Needs at the 31st Annual Affordable Housing Awards in Costa Mesa, CA for their Avenida Villas project, a special needs apartment community in Anaheim.
- Two executives of CDF partners were honored for their leadership and contribution to the affordable housing industry: Jamboree Housing President Laura Archuleta won the Orange County Business Journal's "Women in Business" award, while MidPen Vice President of Real Estate Development Jan Lindenthal was named among the "Most Influential Women in Bay Area Business" by the San Francisco Business Times.
Global Recognition for Three Outstanding Developments
The Urban Land Institute named three CDF clients as finalists for the Global Awards for Excellence, one of the most prestigious community development award programs that honors exceptional projects from around the world in both the private and public sectors. The finalists are MidPen Housing (Station Center–Union City, CA), BRIDGE Housing (St. Joseph's Senior Apartments–Oakland, CA) and Resources for Community Development (Oxford Plaza–Berkeley, CA). To be selected, projects must demonstrate achievement to the highest standards of design, construction, economics, planning and management. The winning entries will be announced at the ULI Fall Meeting in November.
Team Members in the Community
- In honor of National Walking Day, representatives from Union Bank CDF participated in a 30- minute walk in Walnut Creek, CA. The American Heart Association hosts this event on the first Wednesday in April every year.
- Southern California CDF team members joined Union Bank Foundation Vice President Kathy Patoff to participate in a Community HousingWorks "FaceLift," an annual event to revamp homes in a local neighborhood in June. The group joined a team of more than 250 volunteers who spent a full day painting, gardening and hauling away debris for seven families.
A Continued Presence in the Industry
Union Bank's CDF group continues to participate in a variety of affordable housing events across California, lending support and fostering constructive discussion within the industry. CDF was a sponsor of the Southern California Association of Nonprofit Housing's 25th Anniversary Conference in Los Angeles and attended the 2013 Ruby Awards hosted by the San Diego Housing Federation. In addition, Union Bank sponsored the Bay Area Council's 2013 Outlook Conference in San Francisco, where EVP Annette Billingsley introduced one of the panel discussions.
CDF Executive Recognized by San Francisco Business Times
Annette Billingsley, Union Bank CDF Executive Vice President, was named among the "Most Influential Women in Bay Area Business" by the San Francisco Business Times in May. This honor recognizes top female professionals who make a significant difference in their own companies as well as the industry and the community at large.
Union Bank Recognized as the #1 Bank in the U.S.
Union Bank was selected by its customers as the No. 1 bank of the top 30 bank holding companies in the nation in an annual survey conducted by the Reputation Institute and American Banker Magazine. Union Bank received the highest cumulative score of any bank since the survey began in 2010 on measures such as trust, admiration and respect, and also finished in the top five in key categories such as governance, performance, workplace, citizenship and leadership. Union Bank President and CEO Masashi Oka was featured on the cover of American Banker's July issue.